Friday, June 6, 2014

Getting Better All The Time

I am spending this weekend in Austin, TX. So naturally I decided to write a blog post. I am attending the very wonderful ATX Festival Season 3. I am doing my best to mingle and be friendly while attending panels and learning a lot about the television industry. Now I am hoping this will help my career but the festival itself has been great fun. 

I wanted to write about the festival though because it is a very important time for me. I have been trying to better myself these past few years and I have learned a lot about who I am and who I am not. I am not a social butterfly. But I am a good listener and that is how I have always made friends. I am good at letting others have the floor. I mean we all want to speak our minds but sometimes others don't want to listen.

So this is my networking strategy. I think of one question on my own. Walk up and ask it, then just let them go on. You have to listen though to prepare your next question. I love hearing people explain new things. Even if I know about a topic already, I will ask them more questions and hopefully learn something new. 

I am a semester away from graduating again so the question of what to do next is constantly looming over my head. So I am walking around this festival with business cards and my ears open. I am starting conversations and staying out of my shell.  This is new and empowering while also stressful and nerve-racking. Career-wise not much may come from it but in terms of personal growth I feel I have won the gold. Cheesy? Yes, but I don't care. 

If you haven't heard of ATX Television Festival you should Google it. It's really great and you should go next year if you can. 

Remember you can always follow me on  
Twitter: @ewilliams_12
Instagram: ewilliams_12
Pinterest: ewilliams12

Stay Golden,

-Emy

No comments:

Post a Comment